Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a dainty tea sandwich that is just delicious. Instructions are so that you will get two rounds out of one piece of bread, but if you can't, use a larger cookie cutter, but you will need more bread to make eight little sandwiches. These little ones are not open-faced but have a cover on them.
- 8 slices white bread (cut into 16 round shapes)
- 2 tablespoons soft butter
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 8 small tomatoes, slices (to fit bread rounds)
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 16 fresh basil leaves
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- Cut 16 small rounds of bread (to make 8 sandwiches) with a round cookie cutter--should be able to get two out of each piece of bread, otherwise, use a larger cutter and more bread.
- Spread one of the rounds with a little butter and then a little mayonnaise.
- Top each with a slice of tomato, cheese round, and a couple of basil leaves (each should fit the bread round).
- Lightly salt and pepper each one and put a couple of drops of olive oil on top.
- Place other bread round on top.
- Refrigerate till ready for the tea.
I made these open-faced and used gorgeous slices of differently colored heirloom tomatoes. They were a hit!