Recipe by Geema
This is a quick bread with a beautiful color and tangy taste, eaten at breakfast, lunch or dinner. I love it toasted with a poached egg on top.
Top Review by Mysterygirl
This was great. I love the mix of flavors. It really kicked up a plain sandwich but then I cubed some and fried it in butter with a bit of garlic - some of the best croutons you've ever eaten. They were awesome.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup canned tomato, pureed
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh dill, minced
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 2 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cheese, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- In another bowl, mix the tomato puree, onion, dill, butter and eggs.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Pour the batter into a well greased loaf pan and bake until bread is nicely browned and a tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean -- 50-55 minutes.
- Turn the bread out onto a wire rack to cool before slicing.