Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Great way to show off your garden tomatoes. Much better tasting than the store bought stuff :-)
- 12 1⁄2 lbs ripe tomatoes
- 2 medium onions
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons broken cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- WASH and slice tomatoes and boil until soft.
- Into another kettle slice the onions.
- Cover with a small quantity of water and cook until tender.
- Run the cooked onions and tomatoes through a sieve.
- Mix the onion and tomato pulp.
- Add the cayenne pepper.
- Boil this mixture rapidly until it has been reduced to about 1/2 original volume.
- Place vinegar in an enamel pan; add a spice bag containing the cinnamon, cloves and garlic.
- Allow this to simmer for about 30 minutes, then bring to boil.
- Place cover on pan and remove from heat.
- Allow this to stand in covered pan until ready to use.
- When tomato mixture has cooked down to 1/2 original volume, add mixture, of which there should be 1 and 1/4 cups.
- Add the paprika, sugar and salt and boil rapidly until thick.
- This should require about 10 minutes.
- Pour while boiling into sterilized jars to within 1/2 inch of top.
- Put on cap, screw band firmly tight.
- Process in Boiling Water Bath 5 minutes.
The absolute best catsup/kethcup I've ever had. A fantastic recipe for a rainy day, pre empt to barbecue!!!