Recipe by Imagenie
This is from a Gourmet Magazine many years ago. Easy and delicious. A pureed soup with a dollop of sour cream on top. Good for a first course or soup and sandwich meal.
- 2 leeks, white part, chopped
- 1 lb carrot, peeled and sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato juice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the leeks and carrots in the butter over low heat, stirring occasionally until soft.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato juice, chicken broth, tomato paste, thyme, pepper, and salt to taste. Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer covered, 30 to 40 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Puree soup in a blender, or with hand blender.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream.