Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Ahh summer tomatoes and caramelized onions seasoned with garlic, rosemary and thyme. All packed into jars for gift giving to enjoy the summer’s bounty throughout the year. Enjoy on brie cream cheese with crackers or crusty bread. Toss into pasta or a grain for a quick easy salad. Top a sandwich for a healthy choice to mayonnaise.
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 lbs sweet onions, quartered then sliced thinly
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon packed light brown sugar
- 10 cups diced tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon diced fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄3 cup white balsamic vinegar
- In a large pan heat the butter and oil. Add onion, garlic, salt and sugar cook over medium-low heat till golden brown about 20-30 minutes.
- Add tomatoes bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer for 15 minutes. Softening the tomatoes and reduce the liquid. Add remaining ingredients bring back up to a boil then remove from heat.
- Ladle into sterilized jars leaving ¼ inch head space. Wipe rims and adjust lids. Process the jars for 5 minutes.
- Remove from canner and let cool.