Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is from Paula Dean's show. I usually make them when I am hosting dinner at home for a few friends. However they are extremely easy to make, so delicious and "healthy". I will be making them for a potluck next. Hope you enjoy! NOTE: definitely double the recipe, one batch feeds 4.
- 3⁄4 cup finely diced tomato
- 2 teaspoons finely diced onions
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh basil leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon the lady's house seasoning, recipe follows
- 15 miniature phyllo cups (1 package, usually brand Athens)
- 1⁄2 cup packed shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons bacon, pieces (or more)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the diced tomatoes in a colander. Sprinkle with the onions, basil, and House Seasoning, and toss to coat. Allow to drain, stirring occasionally. Fill each phyllo shell with a scant tablespoon of the tomato mixture. Stir together the mozzarella and mayonnaise. Frost the top of each shell with a scant tablespoon of the mozzarella mixture. Sprinkle each shell with 1/4 teaspoon of bacon pieces. Bake the filled shells for 10 to 12 minutes. Serve hot. These may be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated until serving time.
- House Seasoning: 1 cup salt + 1/4 cup black pepper + 1/4 cup garlic powder.
- Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
These were so simple and easy, although I was out of phyllo pastry I made it homemade with recipe http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-phyllo-pastry-71214. It all tasted so great and favorable. I am making this again tonight for romantic dinner with Hubby.. I urge anyone to do both recipes together... the ease of the canapes was incredible.. nearly said priceless.. lol well they are! Thanks for sharing Weiner's Mom!
Oh to lower the fat content, I did use fat free cheese and Mayo. In case someone wants the cheese without the fat... ty again for posting!
Can't believe this one hasn't been rated before!! It doesn't get much easier and these look absolutely fabulous arranged on Grama's silver tray. (Tip: can be made healthier without the mayo or cheese. I just add more fresh basil) Thanks so much for this one!!