Recipe by Molly Schneider
A dish from the Depression that appeals to weight-watchers and vegetarians and vegans. Makes a great light meal or a different side dish.
Top Review by Milla
Yeah, the 'cakes' kept falling apart, so i added more cracker to the mix, which helped the elements gel better. But ultimately it tasted like wet crackers with tomato juice. (Not that great.)
- 1 can chopped tomatoes or 2 -3 chopped fresh tomatoes, do not drain
- 2 packages saltine crackers
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Variation: you may add a teaspoon or more of salsa to spice these up, just don't add so much that they get goopy!
- Empty tomatoes into medium-to-large bowl.
- Add chopped onion, salt and pepper, and crushed saltines.
- Mix well.
- Let set in refrigerator for 15-30 minutes.
- Mix again and form mixture into cakes, then fry on both sides (preferably in lard or solid vegetable shortening) until golden brown on each side.
- Serve as main dish for a light meal or a side dish--great with macaroni and cheese!