1/4 Photos of Tomato Cabbage (Tomaten Kohl)
My mother used to make this and she always referred to it as "tomatokraut." It was, and is, one of my favorite side dishes. This usually yields about 3 quarts. To complete the meal, you can slice chunks of kielbasa or knockwurst into this towards the end to heat them through, and serve with plain boiled potatoes. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (2 lb) savoy cabbage or 1 (2 lb) green cabbage
- 1 -2 tablespoon rendered bacon fat
- 1 (8 ounce) sweet onions
- 1 (28 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar or 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1In a 4-quart pot, melt bacon fat and add chopped onions. Saute over low-medium heat until translucent, approximately 5 minutes.
- 2Cut cabbage into one-inch by two-inch strips approximately. I cut the head into quarters, cut out the core, and then slice across the wedge.
- 3Add chopped cabbage into pot, stirring to mix with the onions, adding a little more bacon fat if needed to coat the cabbage.
- 4Sprinkle vinegar over cabbage in pot, then stir in salt, pepper, and caraway seed. Simmer until wilted, about 10 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- 5Add tomatoes and tomato sauce when cabbage has wilted.
- 6Stir in allspice. Adjust seasonings to taste. Sometimes I add a teaspoon or more of sugar to cut any bitter/acidic taste.
- 7Cover and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes. Check after 20 minutes if you like it crisp-tender. I usually cook it 40 to 45 minutes so it's really tender.
- 8For variety, increase the amount of and/or substitute different tomatoes -- crushed tomatoes, tomato puree, or tomato juice/V8. This makes it 'soupier,' and then we just serve it in cereal bowls or rice bowls on the side to enjoy every drop of the liquid!
Browse Our Top Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato Cabbage (Tomaten Kohl)
Serving Size: 1 (232 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 58.3
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 581.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 3.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: