Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A fast simple and easy dish for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 (16 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- Heat oil in skillet, add garlic, cook 3 to 4 minutes then discard the garlic
- Add remaining ingredients except eggs.
- Slowly bring to a boil then simmer uncovered 7 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Break eggs into a cup and gently slide into the sauce.
- Cover and simmer 5 to 6 minutes or until eggs are set.
Tomato and egg. Rich in vitamins and lip smacking good taste! Wish I'd thought of cooking the eggs in the broth a long while ago - it's absolutely brilliant. I served the eggs on some English muffins and spooned some of the broth over them as well. Then tucked in. Definately on my menu again.
I loved this recipe. I wanted to have an egg dish that was different and this was definitely different and delicious! It was very easy and quick to make, too I also used ROTEL tomatoes. INSTANT huevos rancherous!( MMMM! Now! I know how to do it!
Tebo another easy tasty recipe - thanks for posting. I used Italian stewed tomatoes (1/2 tin for 2 eggs) added 1 tsp hot sauce, seved on toast Ecellent brunch = poached eggs with zap!