1/2 Photos of Tomato, Broccoli, and Mozzarella Casserole
This recipe was the main vegetarian Thanksgiving dish at my family gathering in 2012. Basil makes a strong appearance in the overall flavor. It is from thekitchn.com.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces farfalle pasta
- 1 lb broccoli floret
- 3 large tomatoes, divided
- 3/4 lb onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, very finely minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 3/4 cup basil leaves, chopped and divided
- 1/2 lb fresh full-fat mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup cottage cheese (4% milkfat or greater)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1Heat the oven to 375°F and lightly grease a 9x13-inch casserole dish with olive oil.
- 2Boil water with salt. Add the farfalle and cook for 11 minutes (nearly al dente). Drain.
- 3Steam the broccoli just until tender. Drain and chop into florets. Toss with the cooked pasta.
- 4Coarsely chop two of the tomatoes and add them to the pasta.
- 5Stir in the chopped onion and minced garlic, along with the drained chickpeas, and 1/2 cup of the chopped basil.
- 6Tear 2/3 of the fresh mozzarella into marble-sized chunks and fold into the pasta mixture.
- 7Whisk the eggs with the cottage cheese and lemon juice. Stir in 1/2 cup of Parmesan. Stir this liquid into the pasta mixture with salt and pepper until well combined.
- 8Spread the pasta in the prepared baking dish.
- 9Slice the remaining tomato into half-moons and arrange on top of the pasta. Tear the rest of the mozzarella into bits and scatter between the tomato slices.
- 10Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese on top, and drizzle with olive oil.
- 11Bake for 35 minutes or until the cheese on top has melted and the casserole is bubbling. Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle with the remaining chopped basil. Let stand for a few more minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato, Broccoli, and Mozzarella Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (486 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 602.8
- Calories from Fat 163
- Total Fat 18.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 139.8 mg
- Sodium 1610.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 35.4 g