Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I've eaten this wonderful stew at a friends house several times and this is the recipe she uses. It from a Taste of South Africa by Magdaleen Van Wyk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions (sliced)
- 3 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 2 lbs meat (chicken or lamb)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup wine (red or white)
- 1 lb yukon gold potato (sliced)
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- In a dutch oven (my friend uses a cast iron pot) sauté onions and garlic in oil, until brown.
- Add meat and saute until brown, add salt, pepper and wine, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve over rice, cous cous or noodles.
I was intrigued by the name - makes stewed chicken sound exotic ... at least here on the prairies! Using the chicken made as directed, with the aroma alone making for a five! Perfect for our tastes. Thank you we so enjoyed.