Cook1 hr 15 mins
Traditional South African fare. Rich and filling.
Make and share this Tomato Bredie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 kg mutton, cut into 25cm pieces
- 1 kg very ripe sunripened tomato, skinned and chopped
- 1 green chili pepper, deseeded and chopped finely
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2.46 ml freshly ground black peppercorns
- 2.46 ml ground cloves
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 118.29 ml water
- 29.58 ml oil, your preference
- salt and pepper
- Cook onions, peppercorns, cloves and 1/2 cup water in saucepan until water has evaporated.
- Add oil and cinnamon and fry for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add meat, stir thoroughly, turn down heat, cover with tight-fitting lid and simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes and chili, adjust seasoning to taste, replace lid and simmer for a further 45 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Serve with boiled potatoes and yellow rice.