1/3 Photos of Tomato Bredie
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
GT in SA's Note:
Traditional South African fare. Rich and filling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 kg mutton, cut into 25cm pieces
- 1 kg very ripe sunripened tomato, skinned and chopped
- 1 green chili pepper, deseeded and chopped finely
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons oil, your preference
- salt and pepper
- 1Cook onions, peppercorns, cloves and 1/2 cup water in saucepan until water has evaporated.
- 2Add oil and cinnamon and fry for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- 3Add meat, stir thoroughly, turn down heat, cover with tight-fitting lid and simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- 4Add tomatoes and chili, adjust seasoning to taste, replace lid and simmer for a further 45 minutes stirring occasionally.
- 5Serve with boiled potatoes and yellow rice.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato Bredie
Serving Size: 1 (415 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 820.2
- Calories from Fat 472
- Total Fat 52.4 g
- Saturated Fat 19.7 g
- Cholesterol 240.0 mg
- Sodium 196.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 66.9 g