Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Traditional South African fare. Rich and filling.
Make and share this Tomato Bredie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 kg mutton, cut into 25cm pieces
- 1 kg very ripe sunripened tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 1 green chili pepper, deseeded and chopped finely
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons oil, your preference
- salt and pepper
- Cook onions, peppercorns, cloves and 1/2 cup water in saucepan until water has evaporated.
- Add oil and cinnamon and fry for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add meat, stir thoroughly, turn down heat, cover with tight-fitting lid and simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes and chili, adjust seasoning to taste, replace lid and simmer for a further 45 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Serve with boiled potatoes and yellow rice.
Fantastic! A wonderful recipe which filled the whole house with it's tantalising aroma whilst cooking! I stuck to the recipe with only a couple of very minor changes; I added a little bit of sugar & also just a couple of cardamoms - I hope your Mum will not mind GT in SA!!! I had a wonderful suggestion by GT in SA, that I make potbrood to go with this - I ran out of time, but I will make it that way next time. I served it with my own Saffron Scented Yellow Rice and some homemade Peach & Courgette chutney; wall to wall nostalgia - I even found myself singing Sarie Marie......."take me back to the old transvaal"........whilst making it!! I recommend this recipe for an easy & hearty casserole/stew - with a bit of attitude! Thanks for posting this - a keeper for me - in my SA cookbook.