Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
From Indianapolis Star
- 3 lbs roma tomatoes, cored, peeled, and cut in half
- 14 ounces plum tomatoes (canned)
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups sourdough bread, stale and cubed and without crust
- 1⁄2 cup ricotta cheese (grated and salata)
- 1 tablespoon basil, fresh and minced
- Squeeze tomato halves over sieve held on a bowl.
- Discard seed, reserve juice, and coarsely chop tomatoes.
- Place tomatoes in food processor (along with canned tomatoes) and pulse to chop, but not too finely.
- Heat oil in a 4 quart saucepan.
- Add onion and garlic and saute until soft but not brown.
- Add tomatoes and juices.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer for one hour, stirring from time to time.
- Soak bread cubes in warm water for 5 minutes.
- Remove bread and squeeze dry with a towel.
- Whisk bread into tomato mixture and simmer 15 minutes.
- Check seasoning.
- Serve hot or at room temperature with ricotta and basil.