Recipe by Bec
I've never had this, but it is said to be "mandatory" as a side dish to foods cooked on the grill!
- 5 cups cubed country bread, crusts discarded (from 1 loaf, in 1 inch cubes)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canwhole tomatoes with juice
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put oven rack in middle position and prehead oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss bread cubes with butter in a 9"x13" baking dish until coated.
- Puree tomatoes with juice in a blender for 5 seconds, then transfer to a small saucepan along with the water, brown sugar, tomato paste, salt, and hot sauce.
- Bring mixture just to a simmer, then pour over bread, stirring to combine.
- Bake, uncovered, until edges are beginning to caramelize, 35 to 40 minutes.