Recipe by coconutcream
From Taste of Home. Delicious as part of a grilled cheese sandwich. Prep time includes time to rise.
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, combine 3 cups flour, sugar, yeast, salt, oregano, garlic powder, basil, and rosemary.
- In a saucepan, heat the tomato juice, tomato sauce, and oil to 120°-130°F, stirring occasionally. Add to dry ingredients; beat until smooth.
- Stir in additional flour until a soft dough is formed.
- Turn onto floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto lightly floured surface; divide in half.
- Shape into two loaces.
- Place in two greased loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from pans to cool on wire racks.