Recipe by Irmgard
I prefer to do this in the oven but you can cook it in a frying pan on the stove top if you want.
- 1 lb round steak
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1 (19 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- hot red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the steak into 4 portions and sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat.
- Brown the steak on both sides and transfer to a casserole dish.
- Pour off any fat.
- Add the rest of the oil to the pan.
- Fry the garlic with a pinch of salt and 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes over medium heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the wine, tomatoes and rosemary, scraping up any brown bits and breaking up the tomatoes with a spoon.
- Pour the tomato/wine mixture over the steak.
- Cover tightly and bake in a 350 degree F oven for 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- Remove the steak from the pan and transfer to a warm serving dish.
- Cook the liquid over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until reduced to the desired consistency.
- Spoon over the steak.