Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A winning combination from a winner - Tyler Florence!
Make and share this Tomato Braised Leeks recipe from Food.com.
- 8 small leeks
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, crushed,with liquid
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- Trim root end of leeks& cut off all but 3 inches of the green end.
- Cut the leeks in half lengthwise; if very large, cut into quarters lengthwise.
- Rinse well, blot dry with paper towels& set aside.
- Heat oil in a large oven proof skillet over medium heat.
- Add bacon& cook for 5 or 6 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients& cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 8 minutes.
- Remove skillet from the heat.
- Remove half of the tomato mixture from the skillet.
- Arrange the leeks side by side in the skillet.
- Top with the reserved tomato mixture& cover the skillet.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven until the leeks are tender, about 30 minutes.
My neighbor gave me a bag full of fresh leeks from her garden so I had to try this recipe. I did not change a thing and it was fantastic. I especially enjoyed the leftovers the next day, time for flavors to blend. Thanks for a healthy tasty recipe.