Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
From the "Pantry to Table" cookbook. Cookbook Swap, fall 2008. I love feta and love fish so this ought to be a great dish. For lower points/calories used fat free feta. (me I want the real stuff) 4 points.less points with fat free feta. edited to add drain the tomatoes as stated from the chefs reviews.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 red onions, small, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 29 ounces diced tomatoes, drained (2 14 1/2 cans)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 4 (5 ounce) cod fish fillets, can use other white fish
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons feta, crumbled
- lemon wedge
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over med heat.
- Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are softened, about 4 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and zest:cook, stirring until heated through, about 3 minute.
- Sprinkle fish with salt, place in skillet, and spoon some of the tomato mixture overthe top.
- Cover the skillet and cook until fish is opaque in center (6-8 min). Sprinkle with crumbled feta and lemon wedges.
Super--- fast. easy and good salt and pepper and herbs do help. I even had to use leftover salsa for the tomatoes with no problem, Feta adds a creamy note and I sprinked it on the individual served portions with homestyle red mashed potatoes as a side
I made the sauce for this, tasted it before slipping the fish in and gave it a good grinding of salt and pepper and a couple of tablepoons of a mix of fresh parsley and basil. All of this and a squeeze of lemon juice made for a delicious and simple dinner thank you.
Also reviewed for ZWT5 Zingo - Cooks w/Dirty Faces team. I thought this was a nice dish as well, although I added some herbs to the sauce, maybe was just my tinned tomatoes but I felt like it needed just a little something. I had far too much sauce for the amount of fish too - so I wish I had taken morgainegeiser's advice and drained the toms first. Or, I should have reserved half of the sauce and used it for something else the next day - even better! Love the tomato/feta combo and the lemon zest. My only sub was sole instead of cod - just what I had, sole is probably not the best choice. Thanks!