Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a zero point soup under the new Points Plus program. Add a slice of avocado or a dab of low-fat sour cream for a 1 point treat. You could add shrimp or chicken for a light meal.
- Put chicken broth in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Peel and cube chayote. Rough chop onion. Slice celery and carrots into 1” pieces. (Peel carrot if desired)
- Add vegetables and herbs to broth and heat to a low boil. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for about 30 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat and cool. (it is easier to process food that isn't still hot).
- Process in small batches in the food processor or blender until creamy smooth and set aside.
- Core the tomatoes and roast under the broiler or with a flame tamer over a gas burner. Turn as the tomatoes cook. Don't worry if the skin is a little blackened– it adds flavor.
- Roast the garlic still in the skin until lightly brown. Peel and slice.
- Process the tomatoes and garlic in the food processor or blender on rough chop.
- Add to chayote mixture and reheat. Add salt and pepper to taste.