Prep 25 mins
Cook 55 mins
A lovely way to use tomatoes! Cashew cream replaces dairy to make this smooth and creamy! From Chef Tal Ronnen's book The Conscious Cook.
- sea salt
- 4 tablespoons healthy margarine (Smart Balance or Earth Balance is good)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 tablespoons white flour
- 5 cups vegetable stock (use faux chicken stock if you can find it)
- 1 (28 ounce) canwhole fire-roasted tomatoes, juice included
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs (stems removed)
- 1 bay leaf
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups regular cashew cream (Cashew Cream(Regular and Thick))
- parsley, for garnish
- Place a large stockpot over medium heat. Sprinkle the bottom with a pinch of salt and heat for 1 minute. Add the margarine and stir until melted, being careful not to let it burn. This will create a nonstick effect. Add the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and continue cooking and stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock, tomatoes along with juice, parsley, thyme, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add cashew cream and continue to simmer(do not boil) for about 10 minutes.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf. Working in batches, pour the soup into a blender, cover the lid with a towel(the hot liquid might overflow) and blend on high speed for a few minutes, until very smooth. Pour the soup through a fine mesh sieve.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with parsley. Enjoy!