- 28 ounces quality crushed tomatoes
- 14 ounces quality tomato sauce
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground allspice
- 1 -3 drop Tabasco sauce
- 1 pinch fresh ground white pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup cream
- 1⁄4 cup flour (Wondra sauce and gravy)
- grated pecorino romano cheese, to taste
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh lemon slice
- fresh herb
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine MAIN INGREDIENTS and simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes; remove bay leaf.
- Add STIR-IN INGREDIENTS, stirring constantly until thickened (season to desired taste with pecorino romano cheese and kosher salt).
- Garnish with a thin fresh lemon slice in the center with a fresh herb sprig, if desired.