Recipe by keen5
I'm looking forward to making this with my fresh tomatoes from the garden this year! Prep/Cook times are approximate.
- 2 lbs ripe tomatoes (or 2 15-ounce cans chopped tomatoes)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh basil (or 1 teaspoon dried basil)
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pint light cream
- 1 cup milk
- 6 large croutons, buttered
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel, seed and chop tomatoes.
- Saute onion in butter and add the chopped tomatoes.
- Add bay leaf, sugar, cloves, salt, pepper and basil.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally until tomatoes are thoroughly cooked, about 25 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and cloves and transfer mixture to blender or food processor to puree.
- Add cream and milk and heat through.
- Serve topped with toasted buttered croutons.
- Sprinkle with chopped chives.