- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 lbs ripe tomatoes, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 5 fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
- 1 sprig fresh thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup light cream
- 2 teaspoons cheddar cheese, finely grated for garnish
- crouton (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium soup pot, melt the butter over low heat. Add the onion, celery and garlic. Saute until tender, about 10 minutes. Do not allow to brown.
- Add the tomatoes, basil, thyme, oregano, salt, wine and pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Puree the mixture in batches in a blender or food processor. Return to the pot and add the light cream. Reheat but DO NOT BOIL. To serve top with a sprinkling of cheddar cheese and croutons.