Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 2 1⁄2 lbs fryer chickens
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 cups thinly sliced onion rings
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 lb sliced mushrooms
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Cut chicken into pieces.
- Heat shortening in large skillet.
- Coat chicken in flour.
- Cook chicken in shortening over medium heat until light brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from skillet.
- Add onion, pepper, mushrooms, and garlic to skillet.
- Cook and stir over medium heat till vegetables are tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Add chicken; cover with sauce.
- Cover tightly and simmer till thickest pieces are done, 30-40 minutes.