Recipe by Laura-Li
This is one from the cold country up north, north-central MN. It is a twist on mashed potatoes and gravy. My mother in law has been making this delicious recipe for over forty years. Best part is that the whole family will eat it. Yummy!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs round steaks, cut into cubes (stew meat works)
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (29 ounce) can diced tomatoes (I like petite cut)
- 6 potatoes
- 1 -2 cup cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown meat with salt and pepper. Add 1/4 cup of water at a time- simmer- when it fries down, add more water. Repeat this until meat is tender and you have a nice brown water for gravy. About 1 and a half hours.
- Add celery, onion and green pepper. Simmer until veggies are tender.
- Add soy sauce. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add all tomatoes, do not drain juice.
- Simmer together for 30 to forty minutes.
- Serve over mashed potatoes or rice. We like both.