Recipe by Derf
this is definately worth the time and effort!! Beautiful presentation, cut into 6 or 8 wedges, or cut into small pieces for appetizers. from Janet Neyrinck through Cooking light mag.
Top Review by Lise F
I was very pleased with how this turned out. It had an excellent basil flavor, and I appreciated the low-fat touches. I forgot to add the parmesan to the ricotta mixture, and ended up sprinkling it on top instead, which worked great nonetheless. My only complaint would be the dough--it was hard to work with the prepared breadstick dough. I didn't know if I should be adding flour to make it stick less when rolled out; and so on my first try the dough ended up falling into the pie pan in a complete mess. I tried it again with a dusting of flour, and that just made the dough seize up and become difficult to work with. I finally managed to get the dough into the pan, but it was a bit of a challenge.
- 1 (11 ounce) can refrigerated breadstick dough
- cooking spray
- 8 plum tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- 3⁄4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (3 oz)
- 2⁄3 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese (2 oz)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425f degrees.
- Unroll dough, separating into stirps.
- Working on a flat surface, coil 1 strip dough around itself in a sprial pattern.
- Add second strip of dough to end of the first strip, pinching ends to seal, continue coiling remaining dough.
- Let rest 10 minutes.
- Roll dough into 12 inch circle, fit into bottom and up sides of 9 inch round removable bottom tart pan coated with cooking spray.
- Cover dough with foil, arrange pie weights or dried beans on foil.
- Bake at 425f degrees for 15 minutes, remove weights and foil.
- Bake an additional 5 minutes or until edges are ligfhtly browned.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350f degrees.
- Core and slice tomatoes into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Sprinkle tomatoes with salt, place tomato slices, salt sides down, on serveral layers of paper towel.
- Cover with additional paper towels.
- Let stand 10 minutes, pressing down occasionally.
- Place basil, cheese, pepper and egg whites in blender or food processor, process until smooth.
- Spread cheese mixture over crust.
- Arrange tomato slices over cheese mixture, brush with olive oil.
- Bake at 350f degrees for 40 minutes or until cheese mixture is set.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Can be served hot, room temperature or cold.