Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a wonderful little soup! Healthy, very fancy, and requires minimal ingredients. I hope you all enjoy!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 15 ounces crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup basil, fresh
- 1⁄4 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- FOR SOUP: Combine oil and garlic in medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes, until garlic begins to turn golden.
- Add tomatoes, chicken broth, and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5-7 minutes.
- FOR DUMPLINGS: Meanwhile, combine ricotta, parmesan, egg white, salt & black pepper. Mix well. Add flour and mix until just combined.
- Scoop dumpling mixture directly into simmering soup. Cook until the dumplings float to the surface (about 2 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Be careful not to boil the soup, or the dumplings will break apart.
Rich and elegant and flavourful! I had to use whole canned tomatoes and puree them which didn't turn out too smooth. The smoother your soup, the prettier it will look. Wasn't sure how big to make the dumplings, so scooped them off the side of a teaspoon. They grew to about an inch which was easy for eating. Thanks so much! Can't wait to try it on guests.
I have searched for a dumpling recipe as good as this. They were fluffy and delicious, not mushy or too firm! I didnt make the soup which sounds delish, I made them and put them with my chicken soup. Yumm Yumm.
I love this recipe. It's from The Pampered Chef's "Quick Vegetarian Main Dishes" Cookbook, with the exception that MechanicalJen changed the vegetable broth.
If you love this recipe, you may want to "like" my Recipe FB Page: Cooking with Laurie