Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is the best Tomato Basil soup ever! Plus, it's low in sodium and low in fat when the cream is not added. This one will leave your taste buds tingling. It's great with a grilled cheese panini or a hunk of freshly made bread. Your friends are going to love it, too!
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt or 1 teaspoon morton lite salt
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons homemade pesto sauce or 2 tablespoons bottled pesto sauce
- 1⁄2 cup cream (optional)
- Melt the butter in a large skillet. When the butter begins to bubble, add the onions and saute until tender and translucent.
- Add the seasonings, tomatoes, and broth. Simmer with the onions for 20 minutes.
- Blend the soup in two batches until smooth.
- Stir in the pesto and cream (if using). Return to low heat for 5 minutes. Serve.