Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
requested and found! cook and prep time is approximate......
- 1 1⁄2 diced sweet onions
- 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes with juice
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- saute onions,basil, and garlic in a pan sprayed with vegetable oil spray.
- saute till onions tender.
- process whole tomatoes in a blender or processor till smooth.
- add tomato puree,diced tomatoes and sugar to onion mixture.
- simmer,uncovered, about 2 hours.
- add seasonings and heavy cream:cook till heated through.
- garnish with croutons or fresh basil leaves.
- makes 11 cups.