Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 35 mins
Tomato basil soup- a beautiful version of a classic comfort food.
Make and share this Tomato Basil Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ripe plum tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 1⁄8 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 14 ounces plum tomatoes, with their juice
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss the tomatoes with 1/8 cup olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place them on a baking sheet and then into the oven to roast for 45 minutes.
- In an 8 quart stockpot over medium heat, sauté the onions and garlic with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and red pepper flakes for 10 minutes, until the onions start to brown. Add the canned tomatoes, basil, thyme, and chicken stock.
- Add the oven roasted tomatoes, including the liquid on the baking sheet. Being to a boil and summer, uncovered for 40 minutes. Pass through a food mill fitted with the coarsest blade, or pulse in your food processor.
- Taste for seasonings. Serve hot or cold.