Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 35 mins
Tomato Basil Soup - A beautiful version of a classic comfort food
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ripe plum tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise (~8-10)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1⁄2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped (1 med to large onion)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (** or 3 heads roasted garlic)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (** more or less for heat)
- 1 (14 ounce) can plum tomatoes, with their juice
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves (** fresh is best)
- 2 cups chicken stock (** water or vegetable stock if making the recipe vegan and or or gluten-free)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss the tomatoes with1/8 cup olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place them on a baking sheet & then into the oven to roast for 45 minutes.
- In an 8-quart stockpot over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic with 2 Tbsp of olive oil, and red pepper flakes for 10 minutes, until the onions start to brown. Add the canned tomatoes, basil, thyme, and chicken stock.
- Add the oven-roasted tomatoes, including the liquid on the baking sheet. Bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered for 40 minutes. Pass through a food mill fitted with the coarsest blade, or pulse in your food processor.
- Taste for seasonings. Serve hot or cold.
A very nice soup, I added quite a bit of cayenne pepper, and red onions. it was hot but really good.