This is one of my favorite soup recipes, especially in the fall when it's just getting crisp and cool outside. However, it's also great in the summer when my basil is going nuts (like it is right now!)
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 10 minutes -- be careful not to burn garlic.
- Add the tomatoes and the stock.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Cook until soup is slightly thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the basil.
- Place the pot of soup directly in sink, and using a stick blender, blend until smooth.
- Serve immediately.