Recipe by breezermom
This recipe is a new take on the old Southern tomato soup...it doesn't contain potatoes! Very yummy, and it can make a full meal with a nice grilled cheese sandwich. ** Note: Prep time includes cooling time before pureeing.
Top Review by *Parsley*
I love a good tomato soup and this was both delicious and easy! I did cut some fat by only using 3 tbsp of butter ans only 1/2 cup cream, but otherwise stuck to the recipe. I thought it was perfect. I'll be making this again. Thanx!
- 2 yellow onions, finely diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 5 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons sugar, plus a dash more
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 basil leaves, julienne cut
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic in butter until clear and softened. Add the salt, pepper, and 3 tbsp of the sugar. Cook until the sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- After 2 minutes, add the tomatoes and a dash of sugar and cook for 5 minutes. Add the water. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Set the soup aside to cool. When cooled, puree the soup in a blender. Return the soup to the stove, simmer 5 minutes, and then add the cream. When heated through, sprinkle the basil for garnish.