Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Quick, easy and healthy!
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup water
- salt and pepper
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 cup basil
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Strain tomatoes (reserving juices) and put on a baking sheet or in a baking dish.
- Season with salt and pepper and add 1/4 cup of the water.
- Roast about 15 minutes or until caramelized.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan cook the celery, carrot, onion and garlic in the remain 1/2 cup of water on medium low heat for about 10 minutes (or until tender).
- Add roasted tomatoes, juices, broth, bay leaf and 2 tablespoons of water.
- Simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Add basil (and some tomato paste if you like a thicker soup).
- Simmer another 5 minutes.
- Put in blender (you might have to work in batches) and blend until smooth.
- Serve hot or cold depending on taste!