Recipe by Janie Marie
This is the recipe for the soup at Nordstrom Cafe - yum! Be sure to use the best cans of peeled tomatoes you can find and don't skip the fresh basil - it makes this soup! Serve with toasted parmesean bread or grilled cheese sandwiches rubbed with a clove of garlic after they've been toasted - yum!
Top Review by Jobitzman
Very simple to make and very tasty. I would use a third less of the chicken broth or else it can be a bit too watery and lose too much of the tomato flavor (or add more tomatoes).
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 large carrots, sliced
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dry basil leaves
- 4 tablespoons fresh minced basil
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 (28 ounce) canswhole italian-style peeled tomatoes
- 1 (32 ounce) low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place olive oil in a 6-quart saucepan and heat over medium-high heat. Add carrots, onion and dried basil and cook 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Add tomatoes, broth, garlic powder, salt and pepper and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Puree with an immersion blender or ladle soup into a food processor or blender, in batches, until smooth; return to saucepan. Stir in cream and heat, over low heat, just until heated through. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- This soup freezes well if you freeze it BEFORE adding the whipping cream - then add the cream after you've defrosted and reheated it. If you decide to do this, be sure to adjust the whipping cream to whatever soup is still left over after you've frozen some.