Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
My favorite italian restaurant has a soup that is similiar to this... I just love it and i look forward to going there just for their soup. I hope you enjoy it as much as i do!
- 1 (28 ounce) canpremium crushed Italian-style tomatoes
- 1 whole onion, sliced
- 4 cups vegetable juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 15 basil leaves
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 pint heavy whipping cream
- Saute Onions and Garlic in olive oil.
- Add tomatoes and Vegetable Juice and Basil Leaves.
- Simmer for 1 hour.
- Add whipping cream.
- simmer for another 3 minutes.
I made a batch of this soup to serve when company came for a light supper. It was very popular. I could not find fresh basil at my grocery, so I used jarred basil, and I subbed half-and-half for the heavy cream, but it turned out great. I used homemade tomato juice (recipe # 204120) for the vegetable juice. It is a good recipe for tomato basil soup, and I will be making it again! Thanks for sharing it.