Serve with crusty French bread or a grilled cheese sandwich. YUM!
Make and share this Tomato Basil Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 29.58 ml butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 9.85 ml dried thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 4.92 ml minced garlic
- 9.85 ml kosher salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 0.59 ml cayenne
- 1419.54 ml vegetable stock (can use chicken stock)
- 793.78 g can diced tomatoes
- 473.18 ml heavy cream
- 14.79 ml brandy
- 177.44 ml basil pesto
- Melt the butter in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and sugar and saute until caramelized.
- Add the thyme, bay leaves, salt, pepper, garlic and cayenne and stir.
- Add the stock and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the cream and brandy. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves and puree about half of the soup in a blender until smooth.
- Return the puree to the soup pot.
- Add the basil pesto and heat through.
- Serve. Can garnish with a little parmesan or mozzarella, fresh chives, croutons -- .