Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a delicious soup for the upcoming cold season. There isn't another one like it on the site. The amount of sugar needed depends upon one's individual taste. But start out using 1 tablespoon and adding until the tartness is gone. You can add half and half, however creamy you like your soup, but it's not necessary, it's delicious with or without the milk.
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, tightly packed, cut into ribbons
- 4 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 3 (10 ounce) cans tomato puree
- 2 (32 ounce) boxes chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (to taste)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- half-and-half (optional)
- Saute onions and basil in unsalted butter until onion is translucent.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato puree and chicken broth.
- Add sugar, to taste. Depends on the tartness of the tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for 30-45 minutes.
- You can use an immersion blender to break up the diced tomatoes or leave it chunky.
- Top with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
I've been wanting to make a simple tomato soup for a while now. I won't be buying it out of the can anymore! Tastes great! Just a few simple ingredients and a few minutes and we have a ton of soup that won't go to waste. I did add a splash of balsamic vinegar in the end. It gave it a nicer overall flavor. Thanks for the great recipe!