Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Low Cholesterol, Low Fat, Diabetic Friendly
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (14 ounce) canvegetarian vegetable broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup loosely packed fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, tomatoes and their juice and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Using a blender, puree the soup in batches then return soup to pot.
- Stir in basil and black pepper.
- Reheat to serving temperature.
Very nice, simple soup. I added a bit more garlic and salt than the recipe called for, but this recipe can easily be adjusted to fit presonal tastes without taking away from the original. Made for PRMR tag game.