Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is from a little lunch room in Nashville called "The Picnic". I always have this when i go there.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 large onion, chopped
- 6 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 quart tomato juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- in a heavy saucepan , melt butter.
- add onions and saute over low heat until soft.
- add the next five ingredients and simmer for 45 minutes
- Add mushrooms and cook for 15 minutes.
- Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with parmesan cheese and a basil leaf.