Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
From the Minneapolis restaurant, Yvette's. Perfect in summer and fall when tomatoes are plentiful.
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, coarsley chopped
- 1 carrot, coarsly chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh garlic
- 20 fresh plum tomatoes, cored and coarsley chopped
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup softened unsalted butter, cubed
- 10 large fresh basil leaves, snipped
- In soup kettle, saute onion, celery, carrot, thyme and bay leaf in 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat until thoroughly cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Turn heat to high; quickly stir garlic into vegetables.
- Add tomatoes and pepper; heat to simmer.
- Cook 15 minutes.
- Puree soup in blender or food processor.
- Strain through moderately fine sieve into kettle.
- Whisk in cubed butter and basil.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Salt to taste.