Recipe by senseicheryl
I found this recipe on the home page of www.weightwatchers.com this morning and I can't wait to try it! Vine-ripened tomatoes, fresh basil and smoky mozzarella go together beautifully. Add pasta and a splash of balsamic vinegar and you've got a wonderful meal.
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
This was a little plain-tasting, but definitely an easy, healthy meal and the fresh tomatoes from my garden and the fresh basil really shone through. My mozzarella was not skim and DH actually added some grated parm to improve the flavor, so I guess ours was probably less healthy than what was posted. However, we were just looking for something really fast after a long day at work and this did the trick. Thanks!
- 8 ounces fusilli, uncooked or 8 ounces other spiral shaped pasta
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (or more)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved or 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup basil, fresh, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup part-skim smoked mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄8 teaspoon table salt (to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and transfer to a large bowl. Add vinegar, oil and oregano; toss to coat.
- Fold in tomatoes, basil and mozzarella; season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm or chilled. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
- Notes: For added flavor, add sun-dried tomatoes to this recipe. Place 1/4 cup of dried sun-dried tomatoes in a bowl and cover them with boiling water; set aside for 10 minutes to allow the tomatoes to plump up. Drain well and substitute them for half the cherry tomatoes in the recipe.