1/1 Photo of Tomato-Basil Sauce
Charlotte J's Note:
This is the second recipe from 30 Minute Meals Episode: Dinner and a Song. Okay, the first two reviewers have said this is a bit thin. So I'd suggest draining the crushed tomatoes also. But retain the juice incase it is needed later during cooking. Or you could add 1 or 2 tablespoons of tomato paste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (The first two reviewers have said this is a bit thin. So I'd suggest draining the crushed tomatoes a)
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- salt and pepper
- 20 fresh basil leaves, torn
- 10 ounces penne rigate, cooked
- 1Put large pot of water on to boil for penne.
- 2Salt boiling water and cook penne to al dente.
- 3Heat a medium pot on stove top over medium low to medium heat.
- 4Add extra-virgin olive oil, garlic and onion for the tomato basil sauce.
- 5Let onions cook with garlic slowly over 15 minutes, be careful not to brown onions.
- 6After 15 minutes, stir in tomatoes and raise heat to warm tomatoes.
- 7Season with salt and pepper.
- 8Stir in basil and wilt it into the sauce.
- 9Remove sauce from heat.
- 10When ready to serve, place sauce in the bottom of a large serving bowl to toss with hot pasta.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato-Basil Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (407 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 415.2
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 645.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 13.4 g
- Protein 12.0 g