Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 mins
This is a simple pizza sauce. If you grow fresh plum tomatoes use about 2 cups of them chopped in place of the canned tomatoes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, coarsely chopped or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- Heat oil in medium saucepan over a medium heat until hot.
- Add garlic; cook 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Stir in tomatoes, salt and pepper and cook for 8-10 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring and mashing tomatoes with potato masher until crushed.
- Stir in basil.
- Place in small bowl; cool to room temperature This sauce may be made up to 3 days ahead and refrigerated or up to 2 months ahead and frozen.
I made this exactly according to the recipe, with garden fresh Roma tomatoes and dried basil, except I also added a 1/4 tsp of sugar. The sauce turned out to be really good and tasted a lot like it was made with fresh basil. Perfecto! Thanks for the recipe!
Added a little sugar (1/4 tablespoon) because I don't like my sauce to be overly acidic and a bit of sage (cause I like sage ^.~). Started with freeze dried garlic bits because that was what I had on hand. Very yummy and super easy! I'll make it again. :)
VERY VERY GOOD! & easy to make!!!