Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Best when made with fresh vine-ripened tomatoes and when basil is in season. Try adding 1/4 tsp hot red pepper flakes to oil mixture for a bit of a bite. Cooking time includes marinating time.
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 lb pasta (fusilli, penne or rigatoni)
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- Mix together tomatoes, basil and garlic in bowl with salt and pepper to taste.
- (Add optional red pepper flakes if desired.) Cover with olive oil and let sit for 1 hour.
- Cook pasta al dente.
- Drain and place in serving bowl.
- Add tomato mixture and mozzarella.
- Toss until cheese begins to melt.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and pine nuts and serve.