Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is an easy but tasty recipe for summer. It's great for those ripe tomatoes you have in your garden.
- 3 1⁄2 cups ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup red onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 12 ounces fusilli or 12 ounces your favorite pasta
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf, cut into thin strips
- Put tomatoes, onion, olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper and oregano in a large bowl; toss.
- Let stand at room temperature at least 30 minutes or until tomatoes release their juices, tossing occasionally.
- Cook pasta as package directs.
- Drain and add to bowl with tomatoes; lightly toss.
- Let come to room temperature.
- Add basil; toss.
- Serve or refrigerate up to 1 day.
What a wonderful recipe for a hot afternoon. Good strong flavors, simple dressing, fresh ingredients..how can you go wrong?
This is easily worth 5 stars. The flavours are full but not heavy- the tomato and basil blends beautifully with the vinaigrette. Already planning to make it again! I did make one change- I left out the red onion as I find the flavour too strong. Thanks for a recipe I'll make over and over!
I loved this fresh tasting pasta salad! I omitted the onions for DH and used colored pasta shells. It was absolutely delicious! Thanks!