Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Delicious!! A very fast and easy meal, that is lovely enough for guests. Found it in Rachael Ray's 365: No Repeats recipe book. The basil is wonderful!! Great to serve with crusty bread.
- 1 lb angel hair pasta (I used spinach linguini, it was good!)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- black pepper
- 20 fresh basil leaves, shredded
- 3 tablespoons pesto sauce, prepared and refrigerated
- 1 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese (optional, or serve on side) or 1 cup romano cheese, grated (optional, or serve on side)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Salt the water and cook the pasta al dente, with a bite to it.
- While the water is heating, begin the sauce by heating a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil, garlic, and onions. Saute for 8 to 10 minutes; reduce the heat a bit if the onions begin to brown. You want them to become sweet and soft, but not to caramelize.
- Stir in the tomatoes and heat through. Season the sauce with salt and pepper. Wilt in the basil and turn off the heat. Stir in pesto sauce.
- Drain the pasta and add to the sauce. Toss in the pan to distribute. Sprinkle in the cheese, tossing to combine (or leave out and serve at table). Grab a meat fork. Stick the fork into the pasta and bring up a heaping forkful. Turn and twist the pasta, using your palm to guide the pasta a bit, to form a nest. Serve! Makes 8 nests, 4 inches wide and 5-6 inches long.
- For Vegan omit the cheese or use a Vegan Cheese sub.
The sauce was really excellent - very fresh tasting and pleasing to several palates!
These are fantastic and EASY!!! Love that book! :)