Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Two of my favorite things in the summer are fresh vine-ripened tomatoes and lush green basil. A couple of summers ago, I came up with this easy cool & refreshing sandwich. Of course, it doesn't need to be summertime to enjoy this :-)
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 tomatoes, sliced
- 10 -15 fresh basil leaves (use more or less depending on how large your basil leaves are. I typically use 5-6 large leaves per)
- 1 tablespoon fat-free mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon mustard (I use spicy mustard. Any kind will do)
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper
- Spread each slice thinly with mayonnaise and mustard. (use more, if you need it).
- Place basil leaves on top of each slice of bread.
- Arrange tomato slices on top of basil leaves.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top each slice with a sprinkle of cheese. (again, use more if you want).
- Place into toaster oven or broil until cheese begins to melt and edges of bread are crispy.